2011年3月20日日曜日

Guest DJ YAMA a.k.a.SAHIB Email Interview


Q1
Where were you born?

You mean where I am “really” from? I wondered the universe/space, met my father, and went out from my dad, arrived my mother’s womb, and re-arrived the Earth. The place I arrived was Kazuno city, Akita.  

Q2
What were you interested during your childhood?

I just really wanted to play with my buddies all the time. While playing, I was also looking for what I am interested. I was also fitting into UFO books by Jyunichi Yaoi. 

Q3
When and how did you meet music?
Why did you start playing music?

I really do not remember, but when I was three years old, my neighbor 17-18 year old girl took me to her room, played music out loud, and danced with her. It is the time that I nurtured the concept of “music = dancing fun”. By the way, the neighbor girl is fan of the Tempters.   

I was in lower age of elementary school when I started listening to music consciously. I was listening to my father’s records. Especially, I really liked Macaroni Westerns’ sound track. The first album I bought was the Beatles’ ‘Yesterday’. I thought that it would attract girls if I could sing. However, I reacted to side B’s ‘I should have known better’.  

The reason why I started Djing was when I won the hair cutting contest and was given the ticket to stay in England and Paris. During the time, I went to the club WAG CLUB in London with my elder friend (senpai). I acknowledged Pressure Drop’s David Henry at the place. He was also a beautician and once told me “Fashion is being born from nightclub. Once you relate, your sense is polished”. I was influenced by the quote and started Djing. I met the members of SANDALS at the time.     


Q4
Who is your respecting artist.

I have many respecting artists across/over the genres, if you point out musician, it would be him, Thoshinori Kondo. I noticed through him that music can communicate with all the things in nature. My practice is short, and not in the stage yet, and my technique is in front of the gate of the master. Talking back to Q3, when I ‘really’ begun to face the music was because of him, Kondo. Furthermore, two more artists, Raphael Seberg and Eiji Takehana.   

Q5
YAMA-san’s activity is based in Tokyo, what do you think of the scene in Tokyo?
In addition, how do you feel about the changes in the scene after the earthquake?  

There always will be new things and stimulus in the club music and underground dance music. The scene always changes to the bad side and good side so I really don’t pay extra attention to it. The environment is greater than when I started Djing. These days, I noticed that young Djs are worried about a particular genre. I think they should enjoy all sorts of music. A club is the place. You mentioned about ‘after’ the earthquake but we are still having earthquake ‘now’. At least, I experienced various parties, everyone honestly enjoyed it. I think it is good the way it is. 

Q6
These days, downloading music is well above the sales of CDs, and vinyl users are decreasing. Also, it is now possible for artists to self-promote on the internet.
In Japan, Fu-ei law restricts activity in clubs. Furthermore, the 3/11’s earthquake and the incident of atomic power plant. It is now the drastic changing era. How/What artist should be?

Basically, artist shouldn’t change his/her play style. It is up to how/what you express. From the beginning of the year, I started using PC. I also download. It is because that I want know and want the youths to feel how the new music is being created. It is a fact that vinyl is easier to use……
I think that the artists of making music are changing. The artist’s direction is decided by the method of recording. Before 80’s, musicians didn’t have visions about digital recording. I think an engineer is the same way. A final recording method was the vinyl so he/she calculated back and worked. So I sometimes question why that would be a CD. In fact, there are the worst CDs…… Therefore, let’s listen to the old music with the vinyl!

I see the other side in the matter of Fu-ei law (club restricting law). I really think that we should continue what we do even though they arrest us. About the radiation, we cannot see it but we must get together and face it. Even there are pro-atomic plant people, if you think of where to dump the waste of the plant, they cannot say ‘yes’ to the plant. SHIFT THE POWER!!!

There has to be the music which appeals. At the same time, there has to be the music which we can have fun.

Q7
YAMA-san visit Okinawa over time, how do you see changes in Okinawa?

There are too many mainlanders lol. I feel both the amazement and sadness when I see the changes of the view from an airplane. I want Okinawa to be the closest foreign country. I also wish Okinawa should be apart from the bad part of the history. In the future, as I keep saying, Okinawa will be the gate of Japan. So there will be many cultures pouring in. we should make is as Champloo and send back to the world! There is no change about the feeling and the smell of Okinawa when I step onto Okinawa even back in 40 years ago.   

Q8
BudRyukyu is focusing on base music since the invention of Sub-woofer, what do you think of dubstep which is thought to be the edge of evolution?

I do not stick to the genre of dubstep. However, I am interested in the format. 

For me, it is pretty much the same feeling I had when the Hip-hop, Jungle and D&B came out. I felt that it is the underground danced music. Next step is to make the format of ‘made in japan’. We, I and MOOCHY, talked about it 10 years ago. I want it to be happened. 

Genres are not the matter. For example,,, “Journey”. Little out of fashion is pretty much the way. Let’s bring out ideas about BPM and snare’s position! It is good idea to make Okinawa as a cradle. Therefore, DUBSTEP is a passing point.  

Q9
Could you give one, two or three words for the Okinawan audience, artists and connected Asia? 

Now the world is about to change. Also people’s minds are changing more and more. Let’s not degenerate, let’s evolve in any direction. We should follow and help each other and the weak, share information and make a bright future! Let’s unite Asia at least culture wise! 

□■
□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■


Q1
何処で生まれましたか?
 
出身は何処かという事?。。
宇宙を彷徨いお父さんに行き着き、お父さんから出てお母さんに到着しその子宮から
出発しこの地球にたどり着きました。出身地は秋田県鹿角市です。

Q2
子供の頃はどういった事に興味をもっていましたか?
 
とにかくひたすら友達と遊びたかったです!遊びながら興味が持てるものを探していたかな。
強いて言えば、矢追順一のUFOの本にはまってたかも。

 
Q3
音楽に出会ったのはいつどんなきっかけでしょうか?
そして音楽を始めようと思ったのは?

記憶にはないのですが3歳位の頃、隣ん家の高3のお姉さんが自分の部屋へ僕を連れて行き
バンバン音楽をかけて一緒に踊ってたらしい。音楽=踊れて楽しいはその時に養われてる。
ちなみにそのお姉さんはテンプターズのファン。

意識して聴く様になったのは小学校低学年の頃で父親のレコードを良く引っ張りだしては聴いていた。
特にマカロニウエスタンのサントラは大好きだったね。
初めて自分で買ったレコードは Beatles の yesteday。歌えたらモテると思ってたなきっと。。。。。
でもB面の I Should Have Known Better に反応。

djを始めようと思ったきっかけは、
1984年の時美容師のカットコンテストで優勝しヨーロッパ留学のチケットを貰い
イギリスとパリへ行った。
その時ロンドンのクラブWAG CLUBへ先に渡航していた先輩に連れて行ってもらった。
PRESSURE DROPのDAVID HENRYとそこで知りあう。彼も美容師をやっていて、
彼が言うには「ファッションはナイトクラブから出ている。そこに関わる事により感性は磨かれる」
という彼の言葉に感化されDJを始める。SANDALSのメンバーともその時期に会っている。

Q4
リスペクトするアーティストを教えて下さい。
 
リスペクトするアーティストの方々はジャンルを超え沢山居るが、
音楽家だと近藤等則さんです。
近藤さんからは音を通して森羅万象と対話が出来るという事を気づかせてもらう。
僕の修行が足りなく。まだそこへは到達してないですが、術は門前の小僧状態です。
Q3の答えになってしまうがが、本当に音楽と向き合おうと思ったのは近藤さんに会ってからでしょう。
そしてもう二人、ラファエルセバーグと竹花英二です。


Q5
YAMAさんは東京をベースに活動されていますが、東京のシーンをどう思いますか?
また震災以降東京はどのように変わったとお感じでしょうか?

クラブミュージック、アンダーグランドダンスミュージックは常に新しいものが出て来ていて楽しいし刺激が有る。シーンは良くも成ったり悪くも成ったりの繰り返しなので実の所あまり気にした事がない。
僕らがDJを始めた頃よりは遥かにいい環境だと思う。
最近気づく事は若いDJがジャンルを気にし過ぎ。もっと色んな音楽を楽しめば良いと思います。
クラブはそのような場所。

震災以降という事だが今はまだ震災中なので良くわからないかな。
ただ幾つかのパーティーを体験したが、みんな素直に楽しんでる気がした。
それで良い思う。


Q6
最近はダウンロードサイトがCDの売り上げを遥かに超え、ヴァイナルのユーザーも少なくなってきました。
アーティスト個人がインターネット上でのセルフプロモーションも可能になりました。
日本国内では風営法によるクラブの規制も厳しくなっています。
そして3/11の震災と原発事故。
激しい転換期が訪れていますが、今アーティストはどうあるべきでしょうか?

プレーヤーとしてのアーティストは特に変わらなくても良いと思う。どんな表現をするかだと思う。
僕は今年の仕事始めからPCを使っている。
ダウンロードもする。 それは新しい音楽がどのように作られ、若い世代がどのように音楽を感じているかを
身をもって知りたいから。確かに勝手はヴァイナルの方が使いやすいが。。。。。。。

制作側は変わって来てると思う。
最終録音物を何にするかによって作り手の目指す方向が決まると思う。
80年以前のミュージャンはデジタルを視野に入れてなかったでしょう。
エンジニアもそうだと思います。
最終録音物がヴァイナルだったわけですからそれを計算した仕事をしています。
ですからそれをCDにするのはどうかなと思う所も有り。
現に最悪なCDあるし。。。。。
ですので昔の音源はレコードで聴きましょう!

風営法については相手は見えています。ダダを捏ねて検挙されても良いからやり続ければ良いと思います。
ただ原発については最悪な放射能は見えません。これについては皆一丸と成って立ち向かいましょう。
推進派の方々も今後使用済みの核燃料をどこに捨てるかを考えたら賛成と言えなく成るのでは。。。。
SHIFT THE POWER!!!!!!!

訴える音楽は有るべきだと思います。それと同時に楽しむ音楽も有るべきです。


Q7
YAMAさんは昔からよく来沖されていますが、沖縄の変化はどのように見えますか?
 
ナイチャー多すぎ!!!笑 飛行機から見える風景が変わった事に驚きと寂しさを感じる時が有る。
いつまでも一番近い外国であってほしい 。いつか悍ましい歴史と決別してもらいたいね。
これから沖縄は以前から言ってる様に日本の窓口になるだろう。そのことによって沢山の文化も入ってくるとも思う。チャンプルにして世界に送り返えそう!

40年前初めて沖縄の地を踏んだ時の感激と香りは今も変わらない。



Q8
budryukyuはサブウーファー発明以降のベースミュージックに焦点を当てていますが,
その中でも進化の先端と思われるdubstepをどう思いますか?
 
DUBSTEPというジャンルにこだわりは無い。ですがこのフォーマットは興味がある。
僕にはHIPHOPが出て来た時やJUNGLE,D&Bだ出て来た時の感覚に近く、
久々にDJ主体のアンダーグラウンドダンスミュージックだなと感じた。

そして次に考える事はMADE IN JAPANのフォーマットだと思う。
10年位前にMOOCHYとそんな話しをしたことがある。これは是非やってみたいね。

ジャンル名なんか何でも良い。例えば。。。[Journey]とかでも。ちょっとダサイ位がちょうどいいかな。
BPMやスネアの位置なんかのアイデアを出し合って皆さんやろう! 
沖縄から発祥するというのも良いね。
なのでDUBSTEPはその通過点。

Q9
沖縄のオーディエンスとアーティスト、そしてそこから繋がるアジアの皆に何かひとことふたことみこと。
 
世界は変わろうとしています。そして人々の意識もドンドン変わり始めています。
どんな方向であれ退化ではなく進化を続けよう。
それぞれがフォローし弱者には手を差し伸べ情報を分かち合い明るい未来を作ること!
せめて文化だけでもアジアは一つに成ろう!


□■
□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■



YAMA a.k.a.SAHIB Profile
 

Sensed that DJing is a new expansion of music, take up Djing in "moon dog boll" at Nishiazabu Picasso. '91, form a DJ party, JAZZBROTHERS, started the party with the same title. Various genres are taken besides Jazz, Sahib has an excellent reputation in his DJ Style. '93, produced Aoyama BLUE with U.F.O. '97, Met Toshinori Kondo, performed in Humburg Jazz Festival. '99, form a DJ party, Freeman, simultaneously started the label Audio Sutra. Furnish their music released by George V, France, to Buddha Bar, had the worldwide praises. '01 performed in Dalai Lama advocacy "World Feisitival of sacred Music HIROSHIMA 2001. Had session with a great many musicians. '04, join the session with Toshinori Kondo, Hideo Yamagi, Tatsuya Nakamura, Akira Sakata in "TOKYO ROTATION" produced by Bill Laswell, John Zorn in Shinjyuku PITT INN. Besides, Sahib has been performing with the Photographer, Tadayuki Naito by DJ & images, and has been DJ & live painting with Illustrator, Moshino Katsura.'06, Jazzbrothers changed their name to JBP, released 12inch from SOUL JAZZ RECORDS,UK which became the first in the Japanese.

Yama a.k.a.Sahib(J.B.P./Audio Sutra Sound) '85年、今や伝説の西麻布P.Picassoに出演、'91年、DJユニットJAZZBROTHERSを竹花英二、奈良安浩と共に結成。イベン ト"JAZZBROTHERS"をCAVEで始める。U.F.O.監修のV.A."Multidirection"にJAZZBROTHERSで参加。そ の後青山blueを旧友U.F.Oと共にプロデュース。またミュージシャンとのセッションも多く、近藤等則、石間秀機(ex.フラワー・トラベリン・バン ド)、坂田明、BillLaswell, John Zorn,Jah Wobble, DJ Disk, 山木秀夫、中村達也,eyeや各国の伝統音楽のミュージシャンなどとオープンマインドでヴァーサタイルな活動を続ける。 Hamburg Jazz Festival、World Festival of Sacred Music inIndia、世界聖なる音楽祭広島2001、Tokyo Rotation at Shinjuku pittinが代表的なセッションである。99年にはユニットFREEMANをスタート、レーベルaudio sutraを始める。'06年にJBPとしてイギリスのSOUL JAZZ RECORDよりシングルをワールドワイドリリース。同レーベルのコンピレーションにも収録される。 '08年10月にはJ-WAVE・ジャイルス・ピーターソンの人気番組『WORLDWIDE120』でmix showがオンエア。 '08年、AUDIO SUTRA SOUNDをアーティストとして始動、シングル[Assasin]を発売。'09年にはAudio sutra soundでのアルバム・リリー スを控えている。最近ではパーティー「version」をRUDIMENTSのG.N.T.とオーガナイズしゲストにROB SMITHを迎えたり、DBSにてBENGA,SKREAMと共演が記憶に新しい。 
http://soundcloud.com/yamasahib/01-sahib-live-mix



0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿